Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Post from our Seniors



For the past four years, the day before our spring break trip to Florida started, I spent my time… actually, I really don’t remember what I did.  Old age is definitely setting in! Where was I? Oh, right. This year, my day before Florida was pretty normal. I woke up, ate some breakfast, caught the bus to the gym where I work, and then sat down at the front desk and “worked” as some would call it.  I got all of my laundry done, one of the many perks of my job, and surfed the web and got some pharmacology studying in.  Ok, who am I kidding? I started my spring break officially Thursday afternoon. There was no way I was going to sit with my 4” thick book in front of me and actually absorb what I was reading. But I pretended, and it’s the thought that counts after all, isn’t it?

My shift ended, and as a team we went to the gym to pack up the equipment. Helmets were put into bags, balls separated out into buckets, bats checked for legality, and cleats fit in wherever possible.  We had an entire team meeting where we discussed our individual goals for our week in Florida and then all went our separate ways.  Some went back to their rooms, some went out to dinner for Amanda Cordeiro’s birthday, and I hopped on the bus back to Brighton to unpack my laundry and then basically repack it all into my suitcase. I wish I had taken a picture of what my bed looked like… 





Well, it looked very similar to what Hodg’s still looks like now, at 10:30 pm. I got my suitcase jam packed, put my uniform, glove and computer in my backpack and then loaded my travel pillow, a few snacks and a book from the Simmons library into my purse and off I went.  Now some of you may have your jaws on the floor but yes, I do go to the library and yes I do use my resources and take out books.  I arrived at Hodg’s and am greeted by this: 




This is my fellow senior / captain Samantha Hodgkins.  For those of you who aren’t in the loop, someone had a little sliding accident on Monday at practice.  Let’s just say 2nd base won the battle, but don’t worry Sami definitely will win the war.  This minor setback has left my friend in a boot and on a crutch, but most importantly has changed her title from captain to honorary assistant coach. 

To keep the crip and myself busy, we created a mini arts and crafts project.  We thought it would be a great idea to do something stress-free.  We must have been delirious or something because a little fun arts and crafts turned into sparkly beads all over the floor, permanent marker all over our fingers and sore butts from sitting in these chairs for so long! Here’s Hodg working on a card:
 


What we did was pick out 16 inspirational quotes and picked which teammate we felt best fit the quote and then made little cards with the quotes and people’s names and numbers on them.  A little inspirational gift from their captains. We may or may not have also included a picture of us on it, just so people don’t forget us once we graduate.

 
Here’s one side of our final product. 


So now that we’ve eaten, packed our bags (I’m only speaking for myself but Hodg will be packed soon or we will be sleeping on top of her suitcase on her bed), made our arts and crafts we just have to clean up this mess and get to bed!  Only one more sleep until Florida everyone!

Check back on the blog for more updates from the team and follow us through our entire season! I can’t wait to meet and see everyone’s families in Florida but I’ve got to give a shout  out to my 2 favorite fans, my Q-Tips, Mema and Gramps.   

See everyone soon! And if we don’t see you in Florida, we’re looking forward to seeing you once we get back in New England and we promise to do our best to bring the sunshine and warmth back with us!

-Amanda (Moe), #12 Senior, Outfield, Nursing Major

No comments:

Post a Comment